Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Irresponsible Lowlife

I did not receive a phone call or text from that kid last night saying that he had made it to the ceramics studio to watch the kiln, Satan, by one o'clock in the morning.  I had slept for an hour when my alarm at one went off and after repeatedly calling him and sending texts with no reply, I had to drive back to campus at 1:30 am.  I was NOT happy but I had to go back to watch the kiln.  When I got there, the kiln only had a dull orange glow on the inside which meant that it probably wouldn't reach temperature until 4 or 5 in the morning.  I was NOT about to stay awake for another four hours watching a kiln with work that wasn't even mine.  This was this kids responsibility to take care of this kiln, and what was he doing?  Sleeping.  I was able to get my ass out of bed after an hour of sleep and drive all the way back to campus.  This kid should have finished making his pieces over a week ago, NOT the night before causing ten hours of candling!  I was so furious when I was at the ceramics studio that I vented everything to two younger students who were there working and wrote a nasty note for the kid to see in case he ever ventured back to the studio.  I made the executive decision to pull the kill switch in the middle of firing and stop it all together.  Now his work, a classmate of mine, and a younger student's work were behind schedule.   I also left a note for my teacher saying I was going to be late to class in the morning and walked out.  I re-fired the kiln today with no problems, but still, it was mostly me firing again. 

In the morning, everyone in the studio knew I was pissed.  All of my students saw the note that I left behind and they said they could feel the hatred oozing out of the paper.  The kid got reprimanded by two teachers and myself but I don't think he even was aware of what was going on or how inconvenient it is to even have him in the studio.  Description of Jacob: he shuffles his feet, wears sweatpants to jeans at a ratio of 6:1, long floppy hair that covers most of his eyes, mumbles, leaves large messes, and reeks of pot.  I will never fire with him again and I don't think that he should be allowed to be a ceramics major.  He doesn't deserve the title.

1 comment:

  1. Try not to be too hard. Stupidity and irresponsibility are not reserved to Congress alone.

    ReplyDelete