Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The pieces are finally coming together!

My projects are slowly being completed since this is mid-way through the spring semester.  It's been a busy first half but I enjoy what I am creating.

So colorful!
These are just a few pieces of my 61 tiles that will be mounted to a wall to resemble an Italian majolica plate.  I attached velcro to the bottom of each tile so it is ready to be mounted.  The image to the left shows a progression of how I made these tiles.  I first made the design on paper, transferred it to thicker acrylic paper so it wouldn't get ruined by wet clay, traced and cut the image out of a slab of clay, cleaned up the edges, bisque fired (first tile on top left), painted with Linda Arbuckle's majolica base glaze (top right), applied colorants mixed with gerstley borate (bottom left), and then finally fired (bottom right).



So shiny!
Detail
This is a collage relief of images I remember from Italy.  There are decals and lusters on top of the glaze.  Please click on the pictures to see a full size image so you can see the detail!  That's real gold!  I didn't like this at first but after the decals and lusters, it started to appeal to me.

Such a beautiful glaze, no?!
 This is my favorite casserole dish that came out of the kiln today.  The kiln over-fired by one cone but this glaze came out beautifully!  I've never tested it before but the name "Val Cushing's Satin Mat Black" sounded appealing so I made it and sprayed it onto the piece for an even finish inside and out.  Everything was thrown on the wheel, even the handles, which were simply cut from a thin, bottomless cylinder that I threw and then altered.  It still has a little shine to it but it's soft and velvety.  I will absolutely be using this glaze the next time I do a cone ten firing.



Sharpie for size comparison
VOMIT
This casserole dish did not turn out so good.  The image on the left shows a seemingly harmless large vessel but the inside...barf!  Literally, I think it looks like puke.  On my beautiful white porcelain this color is a delicious jolly-rancher bright apple green but on this darker stoneware, and even with white slip on the inside, it turned into vomit.  This glaze is very runny and pooled to the bottom and gave it a swampy, thick feeling that I do not like, and neither did anyone else who saw it when I opened it.  This is Martin's Moveable Feast, Chartruse cone 10 both inside and out if anyone is interested.  Nice on the bare clay but just awful over the white slip.  Maybe if I had applied a thicker layer of white slip on the inside I could have blocked out the color of the dark clay completely.

More pictures to come in the next couple days!


1 comment: