Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Am I really "lovin' it"?

Unsatisfied.
I am recreating a classic McDonald's meal as my next project.  I must begin with some hard research...which lead me to a McDonald's drive-thru to get the most classic of all meals: the Big Mac.  I also threw in a medium fry and four pieces of Chicken McNuggets.  I must admit that some nights when I'm driving home late after working in the studio, the last thing I want to do is spend time over the stove so I have been known to purchase a McChicken from the dollar menu to fill my tummy for a $1.06.  I do try my best to eat well besides that and it really helps that I don't have a meal plan on campus so I must cook all of my own food.  It's been a while now since I've gone on a mission to indulge in fast food so when I bought this "reference material" for my project, I had to take a bite of everything...and you know what?  I was not impressed.  I have never eaten a Big Mac and upon opening the box expecting to find that perfect of all burgers with three buns holding in beef patties with the works so succulent and divine pictured on billboards across America, I was almost brought to tears.  This so called burger in front of me was nothing more than a sad attempt at deliciousness.  It actually appeared that the burger had been deflated of all happiness and was nothing more than a lowly, crushed, wilted, and spongy sandwich of high cholesterol and saturated fat.  Tasting it was no better then just evaluating it's looks.  I felt sad just taking a bite.  The chicken nuggets were not crispy and were so bland that only when completely covered in BBQ sauce was I able to swallow one.  Worst of all, the fries were soggy and limp!  Who wants to eat limp fries?  I've had great McDonald's fries before, or at least I thought I did, and this was just awful!  I'm not sure if this was just a bad batch of fast food or just that I've never examined a McDonald's meal this in-depth.  I saved what remained for dissection.

Now to create a trompe l'oeil (which is French for "deceive the eye").  I have made a miniature portrait of each individual fry that came with my meal out of porcelain.  I then coated each fry with fine white grog (it's like sand) so that it gave them a rougher salty texture.  I have already made the sat-on top bun and in the next two days I will be making the rest of the meal.  I'm even going to pour slip (liquid clay) into a coke cup and fire it so that even the drink is porcelain.  After firing, the entire meal will then be repackaged in the original paper boxes and bags and displayed as if someone had taken out their McDonald's meal only to find that they cannot eat it and walked away from it.  I will show pictures later this week of it.  I am going to make it as realistic as possible.  No glaze, just bare white clay.  I hope I can get across how limp the fries were, how sad the burger was, and how tasteless the nuggets were.

No comments:

Post a Comment