Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

You can sleep when you're dead.

My studio. Behind the curtain is another table.
I wish weeks were eight days long and each day thirty hours.  I think then I might be able to accomplish all that I plan to and still have a normal social life.  Yesterday I was up at 7:30 and didn't leave the studio until 12:45am this morning.  Thankfully I met my mom and my sister for lunch, otherwise I think I might have gone insane.  I can't even recall everything that I did yesterday.  When I get so tired, I go into zombie mode and it's hard to get a decent conversation out of me.  I was simply in solitude in my studio, cutting creature tiles out of slabs and cleaning them up.  There are 61 pieces for just one of my projects and I had to finish making all of them yesterday so that I could fire them this morning.  Right now they are in the kiln, probably at 800º and needs to get somewhere around 1700° and I need to stay here until it reaches temperature, which might take another six hours.  I make all of my own clay, slips, glazes, and fire my own kilns.  Tonight might be another late night with throwing teapots and making a power point presentation due tomorrow.  I'm writing down in my planner right now to sleep in Saturday morning!

I wish I framed it.
I didn't mention this on Monday because I didn't think it was important but I smashed my pinky right at the side of the knuckle between a concrete block and a kiln.  I was loading our largest top-loading electric kiln affectionately called Satan and to reach the bottom of it, I need to stand on a concrete block.  This thing is a giant cube, not those wimpy building concrete blocks with openings in the center.  Since it was too heavy to carry or drag, I was wiggling it side to side across the floor and BAM, pinky between concrete and the hard sheet steel of a kiln shell.  It was but a patch of skin scrapped off for a second but quickly turned into a small bloody mess.  Why is this important now?  Because last night, in my stupor of exhaustion, I was sketching out new creature designs for my huge 61 piece ceramic wall art project.  I had removed my band-aid earlier in the day thinking that it would be fine but I think the friction of the paper against my minor wound caused it to reopen the hatchways.  Upon lifting my hand to take a look at my drawing, I noticed this startling other drawing made by the blood of my pinky.  Well it made me smile but I had to start on a new sheet of paper with a band-aid covered pinky once again.

My pinky is no longer bleeding as of today, thank you for your concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment